Thursday 2 November 2017

Why Rats Make The Best Pets

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m a dog lover and a dog lover I will always be, they are THE best pet in my opinion. But right now for me to have my own four legged maniac of a best friend, it’s just not an option.

You know, I actually forget that some people fear rats. I’ve learnt that more whilst having them. I’ve met more people who are genuinely scared of them, or turn their nose up at them, than I have people who are open to the idea of rats as pets. The first part I can understand, we all have fears, I’m not one to judge. I’m terrified of a lot of things, spiders being the most common one! But as for the second half, will now send me in defence mode and make me instantly   Want to crack out the PowerPoint presentation on why these creatures are nothing but a bundle of joy. You don’t want to make me do that. We will be here a long time.

We’ve had Shadow and Link aka ‘the boys’ for a about two months now and don't get me wrong, it’s took a lot of patience when trying to win over their hearts, but slowly it’s starting to show that it’s  all worth it. Their personalities are starting to finally come out and both have individuality.

When we first got them they were waaay to scared to even come up to the cage to say hello. They would sit in their house and make a quick dash out now and then for food. Eventually, they started to come around, and every few days they would do something new that shows they have a little more trust in us. They are still doing things now and learning new things which is the fun part! 


I think the best part about rats, is they have their own personalities. Both our rats are starting to show their own individuality. Shadow loves to cuddle and for you to chase and tickle him, which is so adorable you have no idea. Link on the other hand is a bit more of a lone wolf, he's constantly trying to cause trouble, and never sleeps. He literally doesn't leave his ledge that he sits on and patiently waits for attention. Or to be let out so he can run around, which is funny in itself. Though he always lets Shadow win in their play fights. 

The reason I think these guys make such great pets, is because like I said to Dan yesterday, they are quite unique animals. For an animal so small and dismissed by many, they are smart and intelligent, fun, loving, and adorable. Adorable may be a personal observation, but smart and loving you can not disagree. 
x












No comments:

Post a Comment