Friday 3 February 2017

The Time I Met My Favourite Band; New Found Glory

Last week you will know New found Glory announced their 20 year anniversary tour coming to the UK in October, playing 6 of their albums in full across 3 dates in London. As you will probably guess, I lost my shit haha. (First time i've used bad language in a blog and last - was needed to express pure excitement).

As you can also probably guess, i've seen them ALOT of times over the course of my small time on this earth, and every time is just as great as the last. Small venues, larger venues, seeing them perform Sticks and Stones twice before already, which was absolutely insane. But there is one slightly more special than the rest, I thought to personally celebrate this glorious event, I would write about the time I finally met NFG.



See, I've met a few bands a long the years, but in general I tend not to, because I'm too shy and the thought of even approaching someone I know in the street is bad enough, let alone someone I look up to and admire. But I've never had the chance to meet the band I grew up loving and never lost that love for. 

I had tickets for the London show at The Forum already, but then they announced VIP tickets, and my partner decided to surprise me and got them. Yep, I freaked out. Both excited but very very anxious. To tell you the truth, I actually thought I would back out on the day and not be able to do it, because of how worked up I get about these things.

When the day came, it was like Christmas. We arrived at the venue which I recall was about 2pm (I can't really remember), after a while someone came outside and invited us into the lobby. We all gathered around and was given a lanyard/ NFG VIP look at me tags. The guy gave us a run down on what was going to happen, that we were going to have a chance to watch them soundcheck and request songs, and then we would meet them and get some photos and some things signed. (This next moment was almost like at the Harry Potter studios, you know where they open the door to the hall and you're like OH MY GOD.) He then opened the doors to the venue and we walked through, where they were already on stage ready to soundcheck. 

It's probably the coolest thing I have ever done, watching my favourite band soundcheck to just a few of us - it will probably never happen again. From what I can remember, they played; Coming Home, All About Her and Memories and Battle Scars. Then we had to line up and wait for our chance to meet the guys. 

Of course, I stood right at the back to make sure that everyone was gone when I got my time, because I didn't want to feel like I was being watched. The wait seemed forever, someone clearly turned up the central heating cause I was sweating.. definitely not the nerves. I can't even recall what I said to them, and it happened so fast. But I do remember my camera letting me down and their manager jokingly being like your camera is crap and having to use Dan's phone instead. Cyrus did say he loved Dan's NAILS shirt though, so even though he didn't really care for them, from then on he cared for 'the drummer'. 

As I didn't want to go in with a whole load of merch being like please sign my whole life, like a dreadful fan girl, I got them to sign my Self Titled as to me that is very special. It's the album that pretty much started it for me, and from then I was really hooked. 

After that we went to get something to eat and cool down before we were allowed back in 60 minutes before doors opened, swaying in with my lanyard. This was one of the things I honestly desperately wanted to tick off my bucket list, and I am so happy to have had the opportunity. I'm so happy that on a personal view, I actually beat my anxiety that day too, because I didn't think I'd be able to do it.

Roll on October, Of course I will be at all 3 London shows, and seeing in the smallest venue I've seen them in yet; The Underworld. 

I'll leave you here with  some terrible recordings (due to my camera) of the soundcheck. 

x






No comments:

Post a Comment