Monday 1 August 2016

The Wonder Years // The Dome 28/07/2016


Every time I see The Wonder Years they are just as good as the last time. Something about this show seemed special though, and It has been a while since The Wonder Years have headlined in the UK. What better way to come back with a pretty intimate show.

I decided to take a step back for this one, and appreciate the music and performance. Usually i'm one of them crazy folk getting as involved as I can, but I've done all that, this time I wanted to really take them in.

Before this show, I wasn't really a fan of their latest album; No Closer To Heaven, but I think it took hearing the songs live to really appreciate it as an art piece. Their songs are full of emotion and they show that through their performance. 

Back in 2014 at Scala, I saw them open to There There, and forgive me for being a drama queen, or an emotional wreck, but it really got to me. That song as it does many others, really hits home for me, and the intensity of the crowd yelling that song at the top of their lungs was something I will always remember. This time they opened with Brothers & Cardinals and although admittedly I wasn't as fond of this one to begin with, the emotion was just as strong. 

Support act Laura Stevenson joined TWY on stage for The Devil In My Bloodstream which goes without saying, was absolutely fantastic, and a rare occasion. 

Of course Came Out Swinging was saved to go out on, and it seemed that it wasn't just the crowd who were there to see TWY. During the last verse from behind the stage comes out special guest; the security guard. One of the security guards actually got on stage and was passed the mic by Soupy to have his moment to shine. Of course it was hilarious, but also nice to see and be reminded that not all security guards are what the reputation from shows they have been given in the news over the past few years especially. 

See this setlist here




No comments:

Post a Comment