Friday 5 August 2016

Friday Favourites // Trade Wind

I was going to wait until after my Birthday to write a review on this, so I could show you guys one of their limited edition vinyl alongside, but I can't wait no longer.

You may have heard of Trade Wind, you may know of Stick To Your Guns and Stray From The Path, you may not. In case you don't know, Trade Wind is the side project of STYG Vocalist Jesse Barnett and SFTP guitarist Tom Williams. 

Trade Winds first EP called Suffer To Believe was released back in 2014, and although very different from the guys main bands, It makes a refreshing change from heavy breakdowns and loud vocals, though just as powerful. 

We have now been blessed with their latest album You Make Everything Disappear, and although it is only 8 tracks long, I think quality over quantity can be applied here as it is truly a masterpiece. 

Opening the album are 2 previously music video released tracks that left us eagerly anticipating the album with high hopes. The song that really sticks out for me on this album is Radio Songs. Each time I have gone to listen to this album since it's release, I have skipped straight to this song, and then played the album in full, because I just can't get enough of it. I love the way the soft vocals compliment the instruments, building up towards the end where the sadness of this song is released with heavier guitars, drums and vocals. It is brilliantly done. 

Lyrically the whole album is clever. The big surprise to me was the last track Je T'aimerais Toujours (which translates to I Will Always Love You), where the majority of the song is sung in yes you guessed it; french, with the odd line sung over the top in english, which to me is very creative and not really something you would have been expecting. 

I get a real sense of a Deftones influence throughout this album at times, not so much that it's overpowering and obvious, but a subtle hint. It takes me back to music and bands I grew up listening to, which is quite comforting. It's new and it's different, but it's also familiar. 

Make sure you get a ticket to one of their UK shows in October, where they are joined by Sights and Sounds. Come show some support to a band that truly deserves it. 

Catch Tickets Here

x

No comments:

Post a Comment